BEAT THE SUMMER HEAT
You cannot get on any social media site today without finding something about the summer heat. It is hot, it is humid, and it is sticky. Some people suggest staying inside, others to drive with pot holders, and kids of all ages are squishing themselves into those small blue plastic pools you can find at your local Walmart or Dollar General. The heat also takes a toll on your home, its systems, and of course the yard. Here are a few home maintenance tips to help your home beat the summer heat.
KEEP THE SUMMER HEAT OUT
- Darken up your home and close the blinds and curtains in parts of the house that face the sun, especially during the hottest part of the day. Direct sunlight can cause up to a 40% increase in heat inside your house and will make it harder to cool your home.
- It’s BBQ Season and home maintenance never tasted so good! Grill outdoors when you can. Grilling outdoors uses less energy and doesn’t create heat inside your home.
GIVE YOUR APPLIANCES A BREAK
- Let the sun work for you and use clotheslines to dry your clothes outdoors.
- Turn off appliances. Even the most basic appliances use small amounts of energy when not in use. Turn lights off when you’re not in the room and connect your electronic devices to a single power strip and turn it off when the devices aren’t in use
CREATE A BREEZE
- A ceiling fan will allow you to increase the temperature on your thermostat and can lower the temperature in your home by up to 10 degrees. A fan will also help to circulate and distribute the cold air.
- By setting your thermostat to 76 or even 78 degrees you can create a comfortable living environment and help save on your energy cost.
- Replace your traditional incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs or LED bulbs. Energy-saving light bulbs use up to 75% less energy, last longer, and generate less heat. Energy-efficient light bulbs are included in a no-cost home energy assessment, by the way!
- Take shorter, cooler showers. After a long and sweaty day outdoors, jump into a cool shower. It’s refreshing and reduces the amount of hot water you use on a daily basis.
LET MOTHER NATURE HELP
- Plant trees around your home. Planting trees and shrubs around your home to create shade will keep your home cool on hot sunny days.
TUNE-UP YOUR AC UNIT
- If you need to run the AC you can have the unit serviced by a professional to make sure it is operating in tip-top shape. Duct work can also eat into the efficiency, so sealing ducts could make a big difference.
If you have questions regarding home maintenance or the health of your home this summer, give our office a call @ 417-873-9517. Our inspectors can help you identify additional ways to beat the heat as well as investigate any energy loss. Mirowski Inspection uses state of the art infrared cameras to help detect thermal anomalies that are driving your home temperature through the roof.
Whether you are buying or selling a home a home inspection provides you with peace of mind, saves you money and time, and helps protect your investment. Mirowski Inspections offers inspections for residential and commercial properties as well as pest inspections, septic inspections, radon testing, environmental testing and infrared scanning, Call Mirowski Inspections @ 417-873-9517 for more information or check out our website at www.mirowskiinspections.com Follow us on social media @mirowskiinspect.