Air Quality in Your Home or Business
Are you struggling to breathe while inside your home or business? Noticing bad smells or damp spaces on your property? Mirowski Inspections and Certified Laboratory partner, Pro Labs can help diagnose your indoor air problems.
Create a healthier environment– Improved indoor air quality can help reduce the chance of an asthma attack, protect inhabitants from having allergic reactions and more.
Air sampling tests the concentration of mold spores in your home’s air. Samples are taken from the air and are later examined under a microscope. Air tests can tell you if you have a mold problem even if you cannot find the mold growth. However, the amount of mold spores in the air can change drastically in a small amount of time, giving varying results at different times.
Managing indoor air quality– Clean indoor air can be as easy as opening a window or changing filters more frequently. However; with building envelopes becoming tighter for increased energy efficiency, the management of indoor air quality can become very complicated, especially in existing buildings.
Medical studies have found that mold is the #1 cause of allergic symptoms. Stachybotrys, (the black mold found in home, office, and school environments), has been linked to fatal pulmonary disorders. To help detect the possibility of mold, do you notice any of the following?
- Discoloration or black mold on baseboards, wallboards, or wallpaper.
- Cracks in shower tile, lack of caulking, loose toilet seal, leaks under sink
- Carpet and padding in direct contact with concrete slab
- Poorly maintained or dirty air conditioning/heating vents and filters
- Damp basement or crawl space
- Water penetration (water marks on walls, mold spots on walls)
- Musty/ moldy odor
If you answered YES to any of the above questions, then you could be exposed to Mold.
Mold Swabs and Surface Samples
Surface testing takes samples from household surfaces to find the amount of mold growth and spores deposited around the home. Samples are collected by swabbing. The sample is then examined in a laboratory.
Like with air testing the results can vary because mold growth and spores aren’t spread evenly across surfaces in the home and can change over time. Unlike air testing though, surface tests can’t identify the exact concentration of mold spores in the air.
Why You Should Test for Mold
The main reasons for having mold testing performed in your home are:
- You notice signs of mold such as a mold smell or mold symptoms
- To identify the species of mold in your home
- To help you find where mold is growing
- To test indoor air quality by measuring the amount of spores in the air
- To test if mold in your home has been fully removed
Identifying Mold Species
Another reason for mold testing is if you want to find out what kind of species of mold is in your home. This is important for toxic molds since extra caution needs to be taken to safely remove toxic mold from the home. Two well-known toxic molds are Stachybotrys (often called toxic black mold) and Aspergillus. If you see mold which looks like a toxic species or if you are suffering toxic symptoms then you should have it tested before you try to remove it. The only way to identify the species of a mold colony for certain is to have a mold professional look at a sample of it under the microscope.
Mold Removal Products
There are several products you can use to kill and remove mold. Some of the most effective mold removal products include:
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Detergent Baking soda
- Tea tree oil
- Grapefruit seed extract
More information on MOLD Remediation can be found at http://blackmold.awardspace.com/mold-removal-cleanup.html
Air Quality Service are not part of a standard home inspection. Laboratory testing is required and outsourced to PRO-LAB. Typical turn around time is 48-72 hours. Services provided:
- Air Quality Testing- Pricing is based on number of samples drawn and starts at $275
- Mold Sampling- Pricing is based on the number of samples drawn and starts at $150.
- Lead Paint Sampling- Pricing is based on the number of samples drawn and starts at $135.
- Asbestos Sampling- Pricing is based on the number of samples drawn and starts at $175.
Mirowski Inspection recommends that anytime you have test results that show ELEVATED or UNUSUAL results that you contact a Mold Remediation/Removal Specialist. Some local sources in the Springfield MO area are listed here:
- Certified Water & Mold – Springfield 417-885-9493; Kansas City 816-835-4959
- All Pro Services, Inc. – Springfield 417-881-3566
- Sunbelt Environmental – Springfield 417-831-5052
- Dog Gone Mold – Springfield 417-379-5120