8 tips to practice window safety, prevent tragedy
The Window Safety Task Force of the National Safety Council encourages parents and caregivers to recognize the importance of practicing window safety year-round.
To protect children, the Window Safety Task Force offers these tips:
- When young children are around, keep windows closed and locked.
- When opening a window for ventilation, use those located out of a child’s reach.
- Avoid placing furniture near windows to prevent young children from climbing and gaining access to an open window.
- Don’t allow children to jump on beds or other furniture; this helps reduce potential falls.
- Don’t rely on insect screens to prevent a window fall. Insect screens are designed to keep bugs out, not to keep children in the home.
- Supervise children to keep child’s play away from windows, balconies or patio doors.
- Install ASTM F2090 compliant devices, designed to limit how far a window will open, or window guards (with quick-release mechanisms in case of fire or another emergency) to help prevent a fall.
- Teach your child how to safely use a window to escape during an emergency, such as a fire.
Follow the Window Safety Task Force on Twitter and Facebook for more tips and updates on this safety issue.
Mirowski Inspections is a full-service residential and commercial inspection company. Services include home and commercial inspections, pest inspections, radon & environmental testing, septic inspections, infrared scans, and drone imaging. Call for your free estimate 417-873-9517 or visit us at www.mirowskinspections.com
We appreciate your confidence and trust in our service and we appreciate each opportunity to be part of the home buying experience. We strive to become our customers “inspector for life” and want to be the company you think of when you need an inspection or advice on your home systems. When you think of Mirowski Inspections we hope it is with a smile and that feeling of home.